ac Return to - the Ancient Parish of Standish Return to mylesstandish.info Heath Charnock Parish Council .
Asshaw of Hall-on-the-Hill.
Ancient estate of the Street.
Shaw of Shaw Place.
The Shaw Pew in "the chappell within Chorley - St. Laurence".
People and events in Heath Charnock 1529 to 1849.
The Manor of Heath Charnock within the -
Ancient Parish of Standish Lancashire England.
HEATH CHARNOCK. - CHERNOCKE GOGARD.
Charnock, 1271; Cernok, Heath Charnock, Hest Chernnoke, Est Chernoke, 1278; Chernocke Gogard, 1284; Hechernok, Heghchernok, Hethevchernoc, Hethchernok, Gogardeschernok, 1292; Hethchernock.
The hearth tax return for 1666 shows that sixty eight hearths were counted. The principal houses were those of William Radley, ten hearths, and Peter Shaw eight. Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
The original size of the houses in the district may be compared from the Hearth Tax returns of 1666 in which High Bulhalgh was taxed for five hearths. In Rivington there was no house which had as many as six hearths, Rivington Hall being the largest with four hearths. In Heath Charnock, Shaw Place was taxed for eight hearths and the Hall-on-the-Hill was assessed at ten hearths. The majority of houses appear to have had only one or two hearths, whilst in contrast the two largest houses in Standish parish, namely the Halls of Duxbury and Standish, had nineteen and eighteen hearths respectively.
The whole of HEATH CHARNOCK lay within the fee of Penwortham, and was included in the five plough-lands given by Warine Bussell to Randle son of Roger de Marsey, (Lancs. Inq. and Extents. Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches. i, 29.) and afterwards held by the Ferrers family, and then by 'the lords of Leylandshire,' or Lord Ferrers. Before 1288 two subordinate manors had been created, a third part being then held of William de Ferrers by Thomas Banastre by a rent of 1s. 9d.
and the remainder by William son of Hugh Gogard, by a rent of 3s. 9d. bid. 270. Thomas Banastre occurs in pleas of 1292 and 1308–9; Assize R. 408, m. 44 d.; 423, m. 3.
Margaret daughter of Thomas Banastre in 1327 claimed a messuage, &c., against Richard son of Ralph de Heath Charnock; De Banco R. 268, m. 34. Margaret widow of Adam Banastre was defendant in 1329; Assize R. 427, m. 3 d.
Of these manors the former was acquired by marriage by John de
Harrington of Farleton, who at his death in 1359 was seised of certain lands
and tenements in Heath Charnock held of Sir Richard de Shireburne and John de
Arderne by a rent of 2s. yearly and by knight's service. Inq. p.m. 36 Edw. III, pt. i, no. 99; he held in
right of his wife Katherine. There was a water-mill paying 13s. 4d.
rent, and the free tenants and tenants at will paid £7 4s.
John son of John de Harrington in 1332 called Adam son of William Banastre to
warrant him; De Banco R. 292, m. 253. In a claim made by Richard de Standish
of Duxbury in 1352 Sir John de Harrington (now 'the elder') and Katherine his
wife answered that they held the messuage and land in dispute through Adam
Banastre; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. 3 d.
Sir Nicholas Harrington son of John and Katherine and his parceners held the
third part of a knight's fee in Charnock Gogard and Adlington in 1378; Harl.
MS. 2085, fol. 123.
Lord Ferrers of Groby and Thomas de Harrington held the same third part of a
fee in Charnock and Adlington in 1445–6, each paying an equal relief, viz. 16s.
8d.; Duchy of Lanc. Knights' Fees, bdle. 20, no. 20. From this and
later inquisitions it appears that Lord Ferrers, who was one of the lords of
Leylandshire, held part of Heath Charnock separately.
Heath Charnock was reckoned among the members of Hornby in 1450–1, when it
was held by Margaret wife of Sir William Harrington; Dods. MSS. cxxxi. With other Harrington estates it was obtained by the first Lord Mounteagle, Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 64; xi, no. 1.
Heath Charnock, Shevington, &c., were reckoned as parcels of the castle
and manor of Hornby forfeited by Sir James Harrington for high treason in
Heath Charnock occurs in a list of the Harrington of Farleton manors in 1572; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 34, m. 76, 80. It descended in his family during the 16th century, being sold in 1574 by William Lord Mounteagle to Thomas Walmesley the younger and Robert Charnock.
1574. Ibid. bdle. 36, m. 131. The sale included the manor of Heath Charnock, three water-mills, three dovecotes, twenty messuages, &c., 300 acres of land, with meadow, pasture, wood, furze and heath, moor and turbary.
In 1577, three years later Walmesley sold his moiety to Thomas Standish of Duxbury, (Ibid. bdle. 39, m. 65.) and in subsequent inquisitions the 'manor of Heath Charnock' was considered to be held by Standish of Duxbury and Charnock of Charnock Richard in moieties.
For Standish settlements see ibid. bdle. 104,
no. 10; 155, m. 165; and for Charnock, ibid. bdle. 76, no. 22; 121, no. 46.
See also Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 38 (Robert
Charnock holding half the manor of the king by the twentieth part of a
knight's fee); iii, 397 (Alexander Standish holding the manor of the king by
It may be noticed that the Standishes of Duxbury had an interest in Heath Charnock from an early time, for William son of Hugh de Standish appears as plaintiff in 1333; De Banco R. 294, m. 156. The claim was prosecuted later, as appears by a foregoing note.
The former descended with Duxbury, and occurs as the 'manor' as late as 1768 in a settlement of Sir Frank Standish's lands (See Pal. of 1 anc. Feet of F. bdles. 244, m. 50 (1700); 306, m. 77 (1730); Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 608, m. 7 (1768). the Charnock moiety seems to have been acquired by the Standish family. In a fine in 1657 the moiety of the manor, with lands, &c., in Heath Charnock, Knowley and Chorley, the deforciants were Richard Standish, Elizabeth his wife, Robert Charnock and Mary his wife, while the plaintiffs were Edward May and Gilbert Standish, probably trustees for the first named; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 160, m. 155.
The two-thirds of the township held in 1288 had descended to William Gogard from his father Hugh, who was described as 'lord of Heath Charnock.'
The name is spelt Gogard, Godard and even Gerard
or Gerald. Randle Gogard gave to Cockersand Abbey, for the health of the
souls of his mother and his wife Edith, the land between Fulford and the path
over Rascahay Brook, as marked out by the canons' crosses;Cockersand
Cbartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 510.
Robert Gogard occurs in 1203; Curia Regis R. 32.
Hugh Gogard was in 1246 one of the tenants of William de Ferrers Earl of
Derby, who called upon him to acquit them of the services demanded by the
guardians of the lands of the Earl of Lincoln (as lord of Penwortham); Assize
R. 404, m. 14 d. In the same year he acted in a settlement of 2 oxgangs of
land in Dutton; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 97. In
1269–70 he owed Master Simon de Preston 18 marks; Close, 91, m. 8 d. Maud
widow of Ralph Gogard, John Gogard and Richard son of Ralph Gogard in 1277
claimed common of pasture in Charnock against Hugh Gogard and others; Assize
R. 1235, m. 11. Hugh replied that he was chief lord of Charnock, and had
improved part of the waste; ibid. 1238, m. 32, 32 d. About the same time
Roger son of John the Porter claimed the sixth part of 2½ oxgangs of land in
Heath Charnock against Hugh Gogard; De Banco R. 21, m. 55.
Eva widow of Hugh Gogard in 1282 claimed dower in Heath Charnock against
William son of Hugh, Augustus Pierpoint, Adam de Street, Richard son of Adam
de Charnock, William de Sydale, Adam de Asshaw and others; De Banco R. 44, m.
Another member of the Gogard family was John son of Ailsi Gogard, who occurs a number of times in the records. To Henry de Lea he gave all his land in Methehop in Heath Charnock, viz. the part he had retained when he enfeoffed his sister Gena of the rest; Add. MS. 32106, no. 634. William son of John Ailsison was plaintiff in 1294 against Jordan son of Margaret de Charnock Gogard, and two years later against Adam de Hull and Richard son of William son of Hugh Gogard, respecting lands in the township; De Banco R. 106, m. 193; 114, m. 86. He was also plaintiff in 1301; Assize R. 1321, m. 13; 418, m. 11. He may be the William son of John de Heath Charnock a minor in 1292 (Assize R. 408, m. 16, 13 d.), but Ralph son of John Ailsison in 1308–9 claimed land from William son of John de Heath Charnock; it appeared that William had enfeoffed Ralph while under age, and afterwards had granted the land to Thomas Banastre; Assize R. 423, m. 3.
Richard Ailsi seems to have been another son of John; Assize R. 1425, m. 3
d.; 1435, m. 39 d. In 1345, as brother and heir of William son of John, he
claimed a messuage and the third part of the mill against the Harringtons; De
Banco R. 344, m. 390 d.
Agnes daughter of Hugh Gogard made a grant of her lands; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1823. In 1303 she claimed various third parts of messuages, &c., against Richard de Asshaw, Jordan son of Adam de Asshaw and others; De Banco R. 145, m. 58.
The township itself was frequently called Charnock Gogard down to the 17th century. By partitions and by sale this manor quickly came to nothing, with the exception of that portion known as the HILL, long held by the Asshaw family and commonly described as a manor. It appears that Hugh Gogard's eldest son Robert left two daughters, Cecily and Ellen; the latter died without issue, and the former married Adam son of Adam de Asshaw, giving this family a holding in the township.
The earliest form of the surname to occur is
Ashoke (1278), Ascough (1284), Asschowe and Assehoghe (1292).
Henry de Asshaw was one of the defendants in the suits above mentioned by Maud widow of Ralph Gogard; Assize R. 1238, m. 32 d. Adam son of Henry de Asshaw in 1284 was charged with depriving Adam del Street of common of pasture in Charnock Gogard, but replied that Hugh Gogard, formerly chief lord, had inclosed the land; Assize R. 1265, m. 22 d. The same Adam was living in 1301; Assize R. 1321, m. 9.
In 1292 Adam son of Adam de Asshaw and Cecily his wife, daughter and heir of Robert son and heir of Hugh Gogard, were plaintiffs in several suits. Against Williamson of Hugh Gogard and Margery his wife they claimed a messuage and land and two parts of the mill, William replying that he held the lands by grant of his father and that the mill was held by Thomas Banastre and John Gogard; Assize R. 408, m. 25 d. From other claims against the same William, Thomas Banastre, Richard son of John Gogard and others it appears that Eve widow of Hugh Gogard was still living; ibid. m. 35 d., 71 d. Another claim was for land once held by Cecily's uncle Ralph, who had died before his father Hugh; the tenant, Ralph son of Juliana de Heath Charnock, gave half a mark for licence to agree; ibid. m. 11 d. See the fine allowing Ralph's right in Final Conc. i, 176.
John de Heath Charnock was nonsuited in his plea against Adam de Asshaw for obstructing a way; Assize R. 408, m. 51 d. Also in another claim for common of pasture against Thomas Banastre and Adam de Asshaw; ibid. m. 44 d.
The Gogard estate as a whole, however,
went to Hugh's younger son William as heir male, William was the tenant in 1288, as above stated.
His right is also shown by the suits referred to in the preceding note. At
the same time Roger Gogard, a minor, claimed a messuage and ploughland in
Heath Charnock against William Gogard, as heir to John Gogard, his
grandfather. The jury reported that John had fled the county for fear of
arrest on account of highway robberies and other felonies, and that he had at
length been taken and hanged at Nottingham, his lands being forfeit; Assize
R. 408, m. 37.
Ralph son of William Gogard in 1328 and later years was engaged in a number of suits respecting his inheritance. Against John son of John de Harrington and Katherine his wife he claimed 12 acres of land, 6 acres of meadow, 18 acres of wood, &c., and smaller parcels against Richard son of David Pierpoint, William son of Robert del Street, William son of Hugh de Standish and Alice widow of William Ailsison. In defence the Harringtons called Adam son of William Banastre to warrant them; Pierpoint said his father's widow Denise held 2 acres; Street called Adam son of Richard del Street to warrant him; Standish said he did not hold; and Alice held for life of the inheritance of Margaret daughter of Thomas Banastre. See De Banco R. 276, m. 42; 281, m. 142 d.; 284, m. 330 d.
A century later it was stated that Ralph had a daughter Alice who died without issue; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 3, m. 22.
Richard son of William Gogard was joined with his father in 1301 as defendant to a claim made by Anabil daughter of William de la Ley, a minor, respecting a tenement in Heath Charnock; Assize R. 1321, m. 8 and William's son Richard made a grant to Henry de Asshaw.
This gift is cited in a plea of 1441. Richard son of William son of Hugh Gogard gave 2 acres of land and 6 acres of wood (then in dispute) to Henry de Asshaw and his heirs. Henry had issue John, who had issue Hugh, who had issue Robert, who had issue Roger, living in 1441; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 3, m. 25b.
Three generations of the de Asshaw family appear in preceding notes:
Henry -s. Adam -s. Adam. The younger Adam was dead in 1330 when his widow
Cecily was a plaintiff in one suit and Richard son of Adam de Asshaw
defendant in another; De Banco R. 279, m. 273 d., 299 d. Adam son of Adam de
Asshaw was the owner of land in Heath Charnock successfully claimed in 1334
by Ralph son of Henry Wynant; Coram Rege R. 297, m. 94.
William son of Adam de Asshaw received lands in Rivington in 1334 from Robert de Asshaw, clerk, his uncle; Towneley MS. GG (Add. MS. 32107), no. 1835, 1903.
Henry de Asshaw was another son. In 1340 Ralph son of William Gogard claimed
two-thirds of messuages, &c., in Heath Charnock as his inheritance
against Henry son of Adam de Asshaw; De Banco R. 323, m. 32 d. To Henry's son
John Sir Nicholas de Harrington granted land in Heath Charnock, including
lands called Jordansworth, Denebutts, Dawridding next the manor del Rigges,
and in the marsh next Doweshaw, which descended, as previously stated, to
Roger Asshaw in 1441; Plea R. ut sup.
Lawrence Asshaw was the subject of a complaint in 1469; Cal. Pat. 1467–77, pp. 141, 142. He and Joan his wife in 1493 complained of trespass by Robert Adlington, Hugh his son and others; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R 76, m. 6. In 1504 he, as Lawrence Asshaw the elder, made an agreement with Robert Pilkington of Rivington as to a marriage between the latter's son and heir Richard with Lawrence's daughter Alice. Roger son and heir of Lawrence is named in the deed; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1686.
In 1512 Lawrence Asshaw the elder, Roger his son and heir-apparent and Lawrence the younger, another son, occur in a bond; Add. MS. 32105, no. 775.
Roger Asshaw died in 1540 holding the manor of Hill of the heirs of William de Ferrers by a rent of 22d. and of the heirs of Hugh Gogard by a rent of ½d., also other lands in Heath Charnock of Lord Mounteagle by a rent of 10d. His son and heir Thomas was twentysix years of age.
The old home of the Shaw family - Hall-on-the-Hill.
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. viii, no. 11. The lands
held of Lord Mounteagle may have been those granted by Sir N. de Harrington.
Joan widow of Roger and one of the granddaughters and heirs of Sir James Harrington made a settlement in 1552 regulating the succession of her three sons, Thomas, Leonard and Anthony; Add. MS. 32105, fol. 213.
In the Visitations as printed by the
Chetham Society the pedigrees will be found: 1533, p. 188; 1567, p. 73; 1613,
p. 6. On the last pedigree are two charters of 1552 and 1555.
A complaint by Thomas Asshaw in 1552 that his wife's marriage portion had not been paid is printed in Duchy Plead. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 116.
Thomas Asshaw in 1547 purchased some messuages and lands from Lord Mounteagle and others in 1564 from the Earl of Derby; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdles. 13, m. 230; 26, m. 152.
He made a settlement of his estate in 1578; ibid. bdle. 40, m. 185.
Thomas Asshaw left a daughter and heir Anne,
who married Sir John Radcliffe of Ordsall, The whole of the Asshaw estate seems to be
included in the inquisition p.m. of Sir John Radcliffe of Ordsall, who died
in 1627, though Hall of the Hill is not mentioned by name; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. xxv, no. 6.
A settlement of part of the Asshaw estate had been made in 1581 by Sir John
Radcliffe and Anne his wife (parents of the last-named Sir John); Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 43, m. 114. Further feoffments were made in 1623,
probably in connexion with mortgages; ibid. bdles. 102, no. 62; 104, no. 51.
A number of disputes as to this property in the time of Elizabeth are calendared in Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), iii, 73, 132,
The heir male being Thomas's younger brother Leonard of Shaw Hall in Flixton. From this time Hall of the Hill sinks into obscurity. It appears on the dispersal of the Radcliffe estates to have been purchased by William Radley.
Peter Egerton of Shaw, representative of the Flixton Asshaws, seems to have had some interest in the Charnock estate. William Radley, the owner, petitioned in 1652 for a copy of the charge against him, on account of which his property had been sequestered as a 'delinquent,' and Peter Egerton was joined with him. The county committee regarded the information as malicious;Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 2945.
From William Radley it descended to Thomas Ainscough, clerk, and was acquired about 1690 by Thomas Willis.
Exch. Dep. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), p. 84; a petition by Mary Ainscough widow and administratrix of
Thomas Ainscough, clerk, and Radley Ainscough, an infant, their son, against
Thomas Willis in 1694.
Daniel Willis and Anne his wife in 1732 made a settlement of their estate in Heath Charnock, Duxbury, &c.; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 310, m. 85.
Descending from Daniel Willis to Richard Willis of Halsnead and being sold to George Case of Liverpool, the owner in 1836. (Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 521.)
Asshaw of Hall-on-the-Hill.
Asshaw. Argent on a cheveron between three martlets vert as many crosses formy fitchy of the field.
The old home of the Shaw family - Hall-on-the-Hill.
HALL O' TH' HILL, as its name implies, stands on high ground a little to the east of the road from Adlington to Chorley, and is a three-story stone building with a frontage facing west about 70 ft. in length. The house is said to have been built in 1724, and the design shows a care for symmetry and a certain classical taste in the detail of the doorway and in the overhanging bracketed eaves which would seem to support this statement, though the general appearance of the building with its numerous mullioned windows is rather that of the late 17th century. It has been conjectured locally that the house was constructed with stones taken from the old hall of Duxbury. The chief features of the principal front are the semi octagonal bay windows at either end, projecting 9 ft. 6 in. and carried up the full height of the building, terminating in hipped roofs carried back to the main end gabled roof of the house. The bays have mullioned windows all round on each floor, the lower openings being also transomed. The lines of the floors are marked externally by string courses which are carried round the bays, and check to some extent the otherwise vertical appearance of the elevation. The roofs are covered with modern blue slates, and the north end of the principal front appears to have been rebuilt or refaced, there being a difference in the nature and colour of the stone walling. The back is quite plain and without windows, and is now cemented over, except one to a passage which appears to be a later insertion. The present house appears to have been an addition toan older building which stood on its east side and which has now disappeared. There are no traces above ground. Excavations on the site could probably expose the old foundations. The interior is uninteresting, being almost wholly modernized, and the great hall, a room 27 ft. 6 in. long by 18 ft. 6 in. wide, which occupied the whole of the middle of the building, is now divided by partition walls. There is a wide staircase with good oak balustrade in the northeast corner of the house which has a gable facing east, but otherwise the building contains none of its original fittings. The windows, however, retain their diamond leaded lights, which add considerably to the picture squeness of the elevation. There is what appears to be part of an avenue of beech trees on the south side, but the building has been long used as a farm-house and its former surroundings have been greatly altered.
The Hospitallers had an estate in Heath Charnock. This place is named in the list of the Hospitallers' lands in 1292; Plac. de Quo Warr. (Rec. Com.), 375; their tenants about 1540 were Nicholas Dinkley, John Wigan and James Crosse.
Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 83b; each of the
tenants paid 12d. rent.
Of one Wigan family some details are known. In 1365 William de Hauschagh granted Richard son of Adam de Wigan and William his brother a moiety of all his lands, &c., in Heath Charnock; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1798, 1884.
In1370 Richard and William de Wigan made an exchange of certain of their lands between the Ridge Legh and the water of Yarrow in Heath Charnock; ibid. no. 1876–7.
Cecily widow of Richard de Wigan and William his son received lands from the trustee in 1388; ibid. no. 1892. William de Wigan made a settlement of lands in Heath Charnock in 1426 on the marriage of his son Richard with Beatrice daughter of Richard del Shire; ibid. no. 1848, 1851. Richard Wigan the elder in 1482 made a feoffment of his lands; and they were regranted to him with remainders to his son Richard Wigan the younger and to other children; ibid. no. 1846, 2046. James son and heir of Richard Wigan.
gave Ralph Arrowsmith his messuage, &c., called Ridlegh; ibid. no. 1887,
1893. Soon afterwards, in 1527, Margaret widow of James Wigan released to
Richard Pilkington of Rivington all her right in lands formerly belonging to
her husband; ibid. no. 1676. Ralph Arrowsmith had sold to Pilkington in 1520;
ibid. no. 1674.
The Crosse family had some land in Heath Charnock as early as 1428; Towneley MS. GG, no. 2636–7. Roger Crosse of Liverpool in 1522 held a messuage, &c., of St. John of Jerusalem by a rent of 12d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, 18. It was sold to Geoffrey Yate in 1580 by John Crosse and Alice his wife; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 42, m. 160.
The ancient estate was that of Street, which gave a name to the owners.
Robert de la Street occurs in 1272 and Adam de la Street in 1278; Curia Regis R. 207, m. 8 d.; Assize R. 1238, m. 32 d. John son of Adam de la Street of Heath Charnock claimed common of pasture in 1301 and 1302 against Adam son of Henry de Asshaw, but did not prosecute it; Assize R. 1321, m. 9; 418, m. 12 d. In 1331 Ralph son of William Gogard made a claim against William son of Richard del Street, who called Adam son of Richard del Street to warrant him, Adam in turn calling upon William del Street; De Banco R. 287, m. 332 d.
An Adam son of Robert del Street was defendant in the previous year; ibid. 279, m. 273 d. Cecily widow of Adam son
of Adam de Asshaw in 1331 granted her right in Reddeccarr to Adam son of
Robert del Street; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1786.
John son of John del Street in 1356 made a claim, which he did not prosecute, against Robert Huggeson Hulcockson and Margery his wife; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 5, m. 20 d.
In 1513 was issued a precipe to Edward Street to render
to Robert Chetham and Ellen his wife messuages and lands in Heath Charnock
and Rivington, Ellen being daughter of Thurstan son of Robert son of John son
of John de Street, to whom the lands had been granted in former times. John,
it was stated, had a son and heir Henry, whose son and heir was Richard; Pal.
of Lanc. Writs Proton. file 4 Hen. VIII.
Robert son of William del Street in 1375 gave the Milne croft in Charnock to Henry de Asshaw at a rent of 40s.; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1803.
From the above it will be seen that there were several families of the name holding lands in the township.
During the 16th century there was a great amount of disputing—legal and otherwise—as to the possession.
One Richard Street, described as bastard, had a
son Thurstan who married Ellen daughter of Robert Unton. He had a legitimate
son Alexander, whose daughter and heir Margaret married a Ralph Standish and
had a son Richard, who about 1510 began to claim Thurstan's lands; Pal. of
Lanc. Writs Proton. file 1 Hen. VIII. Thurstan, who died before 1477, had a
bastard son Edward, to whom he gave at least a part of the inheritance, and
who had possession for over forty years, being succeeded by his son
Alexander Alexander left issue several daughters—Isabel, Jane, Anne, Alice
and Margaret—the eldest of whom was in 1534 only thirteen years of age. It
was at this time that Richard Standish, no doubt the next rector of Standish,
seized the opportunity, while all the grown-up members of the household were
at church on All Saints' Day, of taking possession of the house and the
children. For the aggressors it was alleged that the deed of grant to Edward
Street was 'sealed with a dead man's hand,' but this seems to have been
untrue. See the depositions in Duchy Plead. ii, 60–9.
The decision was adverse to Richard Standish, but his nephew Richard Hasteley in 1559 again put forward the claim. At that time the daughters of Alexander Street were thus married—Jane to Lawrence Waddington, Anne to Richard Dickinson and Alice to Oliver Feilden; Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Eliz. xlii, H 9.
In 1623 Alexander Waddington held it of Thomas Standish and Thomas Charnock by a rent of 12½d.; his son and heir was also named Alexander. Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 339. Though Alexander is named as son and heir it appears from the father's will that Lawrence was the elder son and Lawrence died in Dec. 1623 holding the estate, leaving as heir his brother Alexander; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), p. 1308.
Shaw of Shaw Place.
Shaw of Shaw Place. Argent a cheveron ermines.
The Shaws of Shaw Place appear in the 15th century. It was reported in 1445 that William Shaw of
Heath Charnock, having been retained in the king's retinue for service in
France, had absconded at Portsmouth; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 7, m. 18b.
In 1484 William Shaw of Heath Charnock and John his son and heir were summoned as debtors; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton. file 1 & 2 Ric. III. John Shaw of Heath Charnock became bound to Robert Pilkington in 1488; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1771. James Shaw in 1519 assigned lands in Heath Charnock on his son John's marriage with Katherine daughter of Richard Pilkington; James's mother Elizabeth, widow of John Shaw, was then living; ibid. no. 2016, 2061, 1937.
Thomas Shaw in 1587 came to an agreement with the Pilkingtons as to Tonghurst in Rivington. Robert Shaw of Heath Charnock in 1613–14 sold land in Rivington to Robert Lever and Thomas Breres; from the Rivington deeds.They held lands in Rivington also, and can be traced down to the present time.A pedigree recorded in 1664 shows them to have been of the same family as Shaw of High Bullough in Anglezarke;Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 261. This gives the succession as—James -s. John -s. Thomas -s. Robert -s. Thomas -dr. Anne (without issue). The heir was Peter son of Leonard son of John Shaw, and Peter's son in 1664 was named Peter and twenty-eight years of age.
The younger Peter in 1694 and 1699, in conjunction with Thomas his son andheir, made various mortgages and sales; Rivington deeds.
Hugh Lord Willoughby of Parham seems to have acquired Shaw Place. His nephew Charles Lord Willoughby, who died in 1715, had a son and daughters named Helena (who married Baxter Roscoe) and Elizabeth (who married John Shaw of Rivington). His son Hugh resided at Shaw Place; see Local Glean. Lancs. and Ches. ii, 25, 37. Esther, the widow and executrix of Charles Lord Willoughby of Parham, married James Walton, who was described as 'of Shaw Place' in 1730; Rivington deeds.
In 1765, after the death of the abovenamed Hugh Lord Willoughby, the estate in Heath Charnock was sold to Holt Leigh by Baxter Roscoe, Helena his wife and Elizabeth Shaw, widow; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 373, m. 122.
See further in G.E.C. Complete Peerage, viii, 156–8; Genealogist (old ser.), iv, 34–9.
The Standishes of Standish held a small piece of land of Lord
Mounteagle; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vii, no. 17; viii, no. 21. In 1610,
however, it was said to be held of the lords of Leylandshire; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 191 and Pilkingtons of Rivington The purchase from the Wigan family has been
Richard Pilkington in 1524 acquired lands called Healeycliff and Whitecarr,
held by John Croston and others of the inheritances respectively of James
Standish of Duxbury and Lord Mounteagle; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1685.
Robert Pilkington in 1610 held his land in Heath Charnock of Robert Charnock and Alexander Standish; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 151. It was sold with the Rivington estate in 1611 to Robert Lever and Thomas Breres; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 79, m. 7. Robert Lever in 1620 was found to have held lands there as before; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), ii, 257 had lands in Heath Charnock, and among the minor owners at different times occur the names of Pierpoint, Richard 'de' Pierpoint the elder was a defendant in 1301; Assize R. 1321, m. 13. Richard 'le' Pierpoint contributed to the subsidy in 1332; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 44. John del Slack paid to the subsidy of 1332. In 1445 the estate had come to a number of co-heiresses. Robert Heaton, Joan his wife, William Cartwright, Alice his wife, John Dobson, Agnes his wife, Cecily Slack, Joan Mather, Katherine Sheppard and Alexander Langton, chaplain, claimed from Ellen Taylor and John Slack a messuage and lands in Heath Charnock granted by John Slack to his son John and his heirs by Ellen daughter of Adam de Gamersley of Rivington. John and Ellen had a son John (temp. Ric. II), whose son was John, whose son was Thomas, who died without issue, his sisters being his heirs Joan, Alice, Agnes, Cecily, Ellen (represented by her daughters Joan Mather, Katherine Sheppard) and Margaret (represented by her son Alexander Langton); Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 8, m. 16; 12, m. 16.
Bulhalgh, James son of Robert Bulhalgh of Heath Charnock and James son of Richard Bulhalgh of Anglezarke were debtors in 1477; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton. file 17 Edw. IV. James Bulhalgh (or Bullough) of Charnock Gogard in 1493 granted all his lands in the township to his daughter Joan; Towneley MS. GG, no. 1853.
Roger Broadhurst in 1584 purchased land from
Nicholas Lancaster; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 46, m. 32. John Broadhurst
was a juror in 1611 and later;Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 178. and others. Sir Richard Molyneux of Sefton had some land in
1623, but the tenure was unknown; ibid. iii, 383.
John Singleton in 1530 held land of Lord Mounteagle; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
vi, no. 32. Richard Haydock seems to have purchased this; Ducatus Lanc.
William Lancelyn in 1526 held land of the heir of Lord Ferrers; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 23.
Richard Chisnall in 1587 held of Thomas Standish and Robert Charnock by the
rent of a peppercorn yearly; ibid. xiv, no. 39.
Reginald Allanson in 1598 held a messuage, &c., but the tenure is not
stated; ibid. xvii, no. 10. George Allanson was a defendant in 1526; Ducatus
Lanc. i, 130. Roger Allanson had had lands in the township in 1569; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 31, m. 174.
John Rutter in 1540 held lands in Heath Charnock, Rivington and Standish, which appear to have been purchased in 1562 by Geoffrey Walkden; ibid. bdle. 12, m. 34; 24, m. 132. A settlement was made by Geoffrey and Thomas Walkden in 1576; ibid. bdle. 38, m. 122.
Christopher Anderton in 1577 purchased a messuage, &c., in Charnock and Adlington from Alexander Osbaldeston; ibid. bdle. 39, m. 19. This may have been the land in Heath Charnock held in 1353–6 by Molyneux of Cuerdale; Final Conc. ii, 135, 148.
The following landowners contributed to the subsidy of 1542–3: Thomas Asshaw, the wife of Roger Asshaw, Ralph Arrowsmith, John Shaw, the heirs of Alexander Street, John Piggot and George Allanson (Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 131, no. 126. ; Thomas Asshaw and Katherine Shaw are named in 1564. bid. bdle. 131, no. 210. Richard Croston, Thomas Halsworth and Miles Nighgall in 1649 compounded fortheir 'delinquency' in adhering to the forces raised against the Parliament. Cal. Com. for Comp. iii, 2086. Croston's tenement was held of Richard Standish; Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 98. For Halsworth, ibid. iii, 148. Nighgall held of Ralph Standish; ibid. iv, 218.
Sir Frank Standish and Thomas Willis in 1786 paid about two-thirds of the landtax. Land tax returns at Preston.
ALICE ASHAW Alice Ashaw, the sister of Roger and Laurence, married Richard Pilkington, Squire of Rivington, on October ioth, 1505, and was still alive in 1566. She and her husband together with their sons and daughters are depicted in the remarkable contemporary picture, a copy of which is hung in Rivington Church. The original picture, which was damaged by fire, formerly hung in the Grammar School at Rivington, but was later in the possession of Colonel Pilkington, the author of the family history.
THE ASHAW—RADCLIFFE MARRIAGE.
Thomas Ashaw had one only child, by his wife Mary Anderton, born in 1532, who became the sole heiress of the principal Ashaw estates. This child Ann Ashaw married Sir John Radcliffe of Ordsall.
Sir John Radcliffe of Ordsall was the son of Sir William Radcliffe of Ordsall, by his wife Margaret, the daughter of Sir Edmund Trafford.
He had the following children by Anne Ashawe:
1. Sir Alexander Radcliffe, baptized at the Collegiate Church, Manchester, January 2nd, 1573-74, killed in Ireland, 1599.
2. Sir William Radcliffe, who was slain at Blackwater in Ireland, in 1598, fighting against Hugh, Earl of Tyrone.
3. Sir John Radcliffe, who married Alice Byrom of Clayton.
4 and 5. Edmund and Thomas Radcliffe, baptized June 15 th, 1587, and killed in battle in Flanders in 1599.
6. Margaret Radcliffe, the favourite Maid of Honour to Queen Elizabeth 1, who died at Richmond, November 10th,1599.
7 Jane Radcliffe, who married Sir Ralph Constable.
8 and 9. Ann and Alice, who died young.
Richard Ashaw or del Schagh, is entered along with his wife for the township of Rivington in the Lay Subsidy Poll Tax of 1381.
The list of the inhabitants of Rivington which paid this Poll Tax in 1381 totaled 15 people.
The Shaw Pew in "the chappell within Chorley - St. Laurence".
The chappell within Chorley - St. Laurence
Pew in the chappell within Chorley - St. Laurence.
“And it is my will and mind concerning my pew or seat within the gallery at the west end of the chappell within Chorley aforesaid that the same shall be held and enjoyed by my said wife during her natural life". “And from and after her decease then I give and devise the same unto my said nephew Robert Shaw of High Bulhalgh and direct and appoint that it shall descend and go along with his said lands of inheritance at High Bullough aforesaid according as the same are now settled and that Mrs. Edmundson of Chorley aforesaid widow shall have liberty for herself only to use and enjoy a place or seat in the said pew after my wife’s decease during her life". - Robert Shaw.
Elizabeth Shaw the widow of Robert Shaw died in October 1726 in the year of her husband’s death.
Robtert Shaw - “Sealed, Signed and Published by the before-named Robert Shaw the Testator for and as his last Will and Testament in the presence of Catherine Woosey, James Latham .
“Proved in the ConsistoryCourt of Chester on the 18th day of May, 1726.”
People and events in Heath Charnock 1529 to 1849 (a small selection of many).
Year 1692 to 1826 - Bastardy.
Year 1801 - 1842. "the Order of the Boot" kicked out of Heath Charnock.
The Boot back to Scotland,
1779 - 1842, Returned to Heath Charnock.
Abyssinia - Heath Charnock.
The river Yarow passes through an area that was formerly known as Abyssinia. Currently, this area is within the boundaries of Heath Charnock and Limbrick, but the original name was given because it was a route frequented by coal miners, and the workers were said to look like natives of Abyssinia (modern day Ethiopia): until the mid 20th century it was usual for miners to return from work covered in coal dust.
Vintage Heath Charnock early sepia picture of Abyssinia.
Abyssinia - Heath Charnock 2012.
The river Yarrow passes through an area of Heath Charnock formerly known as Abyssinia.
Vintage Heath Charnock.
Heath Charnock Old School House.
Heath Charnock Old School House
Heath Charnock in 2012.