Return to mylesstandish.info
The Duxbury Manor or Mansion House.
The Remains of the old Mansion House - Manor - 2007.
The mancion house’ of Thomas Standysshe called Duxbury Hall.
1. Standish of Standish deeds - 20th January 1524 (Earwalker - CCLXXIII) - Duxbury Hall.
2. DP397.4/22 at the Lancashire Record Office - 15 May 1571 - Duxbury Hall.
Bond: in £100: Thomas Standysshe of Duckesbury, gent. to John Aynsworth of Staple Inn, co. Middx., gent. – Thomas Standysshe to pay John Aynsworth £50. As follows: - on 20 Sep. £20, at St. Stephens’ day, £10, and 1 Sep. 1572, £20, in (‘the porche of the parishe church of Chorley’ erased) ‘ the Mancion house’ of Thomas Standysshe called Duxbury Hall. - 15 May 1571.
Deed no. (Earwalker CCLXXIII) date 1524 a Standish of Standish document, indicates that Ralph Standish of Standish had bought Duxbury Hall and the Lands associated with the Hall (1 .above).
Document DP397.4/22 at the Lancashire Record Office dated 15 May 1571 indicates that the ownership of the Old Duxbury Hall (or Mansion House) was legally in the ownership of the Standish family of Duxbury (2. above).
In 1524 the Hall that the Duxbury family resided in was probably the Old Ellerbeck Hall adjacent to the site of the Old Duxbury Hall. Ralph Standish of Standish did buy the Hall that the Duxbury Family lived in and it thus could be interpreted as "Duxbury Hall" in common with other local family properties such as Farnworth House, Anglezark House, Lowes Tenement, and Rigby House. The Ellerbeck Lands of the Manor of Duxbury remained in the ownership of the Standish family of Standish from 1523 to 1758 being sold by Cecilia Standish the last surviving member of the House of Standish.
Thomas Standish Gent appears to have died before 1584 as the Old Duxbury Hall (or Mansion House) is occupied by Henry Hodgeson a tenant of Thomas Standish Esquire of the Pele Duxbury in 1584.
Coppull New Hall from - the "mancion house’ of Thomas Standysshe called Duxbury Hall".
The Family of James Standisch gent. 1487 - 1560 ( of the Mansion House Duxbury).
DP397 4/9 at the Lancashire Record Office - 18th October 1519.
Bond: in 20 marks: James Standisch of Duckisburi esq., James Standisch of the same place, gent., Richard Merton and Robert Haidocke of Heipa, yeoman, to Oliver Haidocke of Heipa – O.H.L. and his assigns ‘peaseabully’ to occupy and care at their pleasure all the ‘tend cornys’ (tithecorn) in the town and fields of Heipa for life without any trouble from James Standisch esq. and James Standisch gent., (which ‘cornys’ they hold for a term of years of the abbey of Evysham, co. Worcs., and of Richard, prior of Penwortham), provided that if this bond is not lawful, James Standisch esq. and James Standisch gent. shall obtain a lease from the prior to Oliver Haidocke.
18 Oct. 11 Hen. VIII 1519.
(This document establishes beyond doubt that there were two James Standishes of Duxbury living in 1519. James Standisch esq. Lord of the Manor of Duxbury was the son of Thomas, who died in 1517/18 and the nephew of James Standisch gent.)
(James Standisch gent was the father of Thomas Standysshe of Duckesbury, who lived in the Mancion House called Duxbury Hall in 1571.)
DP397 11/5 at the Lancashire Record Office - 29th October 1550.
Grant: James Standyssh of Dukkesbury, esq. to Thomas Standyssh, his son and heir apparent – reversion of his lease of tythe corn in Hepay – after death of James Standyssh, in tail male, then to Rychard, son of James Standyssh in tail male, then to Christofer Standyssh, son of James Standyssh, in tail male, then to right heirs of James Standyssh, also grant to Thomas Standyssh of all his ‘harnes as jakkes, saletts, bylls and all other harnes’ in his house and 1 ceffron with all other heirlooms.
29 Oct. 4 Edw. VI. 1550.
(This document indicates that James Standyssh had three surviving sons, Thomas, Richard and Christopher.)
May 15th 1571 - Thomas Standyssh, son and heir apparent of James Standyssh residing at the Mancion House called Duxbury Hall.
DP397 11/6 at the Lancashire Record Office - 29th October 1550.
Lease for life: James Standysshe of Dukkesbury, kt. and John Pole, cousin and heir of Ranulph Pole, clerk, sole feoffee to use of James Standyssh to Richard Standyssh, son of James Standyssh – messuage and water-mill in Hepey and all other lands etc. in Heapey and Anlezargh, in tenure of William Totyll and Oliver Astley – remainder to James Standyssh in tail male. Condition that Richard Standyssh is not to intermeddle with possession of premises or receive profits during life of James Standyssh.
29 Oct. 4 Edw.VI 1550.